Application procedure at the U.S. Embassy in Malta IF YOU HAVE A VALID U.S. VISA or ESTA:
- You must be a resident of Malta. If you are not a resident of Malta, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate of your place of residence. Applications from non-residents will not be accepted, even if you work for a company established in Malta or if your last visa was issued in Malta.
- Your travel to the U.S. must be planned within 10 days of requesting a National Interest Exception. An approved NIE will only be valid for a limited time and for one entry only. Please note that we will not consider requests submitted earlier than 10 days before your planned departure date. An NIE application is only possible if the applicant is physically located outside the Unites States.
- If you meet conditions above, please send us one email with the subject line: NIE request – your last name – travel date
Your request must include information below:
- Scan of the bio data page of your passport
- Scan of your U.S. visa or ESTA confirmation
- Proof of Maltese residency (scan)
- Country of Birth:
- Planned itinerary: The port of entry in the U.S. must be known. If you booked your flight already or if you have an airfare option, please provide a scan of relevant documents.
- Planned travel date:
- Justification for a NIE (for example, for business travelers, please explain how your presence in the U.S. will impact the U.S. economy):
- Your phone #:
You will be notified by e-mail if your request has been approved or denied. An approved exception is valid for a single entry to the United States. You must contact the Embassy if your point of entry changes unexpectedly.
Your admission remains subject to a determination by Customs and Border Protection officers at ports of entry and you may be subject to quarantine upon arrival. All CDC regulations regarding mask wearing and COVID-19 tests prior to departure still apply.