Location: Paceville, Malta
Event: Exercise caution while in the vicinity of Paceville. This area of nightclubs and restaurants is known for excessive alcohol consumption, illegal drug activity, drug facilitated robberies and assaults, violence, and heavy-handed tactics of nightclub bouncers. Reports of incidents have increased. In July, a nightclub owner was stabbed to death, and a U.S. citizen was recently assaulted by a bouncer.
Actions to Take:
- Use caution when walking at night or visiting nightclubs in Paceville
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings and belongings (e.g., drinks, smartphones)
- Do not leave drinks unattended at any time
- For more information, please review OSAC’s Report “Shaken: The Don’ts of Alcohol”.
- Avoid confrontations
- Review your personal security plans
- Report a crime or incident by calling 112 or visiting http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/ .
- U.S. Embassy Valletta, Malta: +356 2561 4000; from the U.S.: 00 356 2561 4000.
- ACSMalta@state.gov (answered during business hours)
- Contact the Malta Police Force Victim Support Unit at (+356) 2294-2160 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See additional details about your local rights as a victim of crime in the Victims of Crime Act, Chapter 539 of the laws of Malta.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- See the State Department’s travel website, and Malta’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program STEP to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.