International Parental Child Abduction

If you believe your child is in the process of being abducted by a parent, legal guardian, or someone acting on their behalf, call: 1-888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444.

From the United States to Malta: If your child has been abducted from the United States to Malta, you should file an application with the U.S. Central Authority at:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues – SA-29
2100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20037.

Toll Free Phone from the U.S./Canada: 1-888-407-4747
Outside the U.S/Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax 202-736-9132

For in-depth information on the workings of The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, visit the Department of State’s International Parental Child Abduction Page. For country specific information, see the Malta Fact Sheet.

The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) allows the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues to contact the enrolling parent(s) or legal guardians(s) to verify whether the parental consent requirement for minor passport issuance has been met when a passport application has been submitted for an enrolled child. In addition, upon a child’s enrollment in the CPIAP, we may alert the enrolling parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of a pending passport application and past passport issuances for the child. Only U.S. citizens or children who qualify for U.S. citizenship under the age of 18 can be enrolled in the CPIAP. Visit the Department of State’s website to learn more.