If you 1) have had your U.S. passport lost or stolen while in Malta, 2) are departing Malta within the next 10 days and 3) will need to use your U.S. passport for this travel, you may apply for an emergency passport. Please see the requirements below. Information can also be found on the Department of State’s website here. Passport forms are available here.
- Complete the DS-64 form (Reporting Your Passport Lost or Stolen)
- File a police report in Malta at your nearest police station and keep a copy
- Obtain one current U.S. sized passport photo (color, 2×2 inches, white background, no glasses). See examples here. Photos cannot be taken at the embassy.
- Complete the DS -11 form (Application For A U.S. Passport) *do not sign
- Have a confirmed method to pay the application fee at your appointment
- Contact the American Citizens Services Unit at the Embassy here: ACSMalta@state.gov; email subject: Request for an EPDP
- Bring your original documents and a second form of ID to your appointment
Please note, emergency passports cannot be printed over weekends or holidays. If you have immediate travel and the embassy is closed, we suggest you change your flight so as not to lose your ticket. Emergency passports applicants must have all of the above in order to be processed.