Nonimmigrant Visas: Government & International Organizations

Diplomats and other foreign government officials traveling to the United States to engage solely in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government must obtain A-1 or A-2 visas prior to entering the United States. They cannot travel with visitor visas or under the Visa Waiver Program.  Diplomats, government officials, and employees who will work on a long-term or temporary basis for international organizations (e.g., the United Nations) in the United States need G visas.